Adding disk on Sun Fire V245 w/FreeBSD 11

Gordon Zaft gordonzaft at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 04:21:38 UTC 2017

Sorry, was not in plain text mode:

I finally figured this out and figured I should document for posterity...

I realized I had not tried to do a probe-scsi from the OBP prompt, so
I did that.  I
got an endless cascade of

Base SAS World Wide ID is 0!
This must be fixed immediately using set-sas-wwid

So digging into this document
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19088-01/v215.srvr/819-3040-18/Disk-vols.html
I realized the onboard RAID was messing me up.

Following the directions, and the ok> prompt:

setenv auto-boot? false
setenv fcode-debug? true
reset-all

Then a
ok>show-disks

Select the SCSI disk controller (for me it was b) )

ok>select ^Y (inserts the line from show-disks; trim off the /disk)

doing

ok>show-volumes

showed that the disks that I wasn't seeing were listed as disabled (or
inactive) volumes.  To fix this I deleted each volume

ok>0 delete-volume
ok>1 delete-volume

ok>show-volumes

now shows no volumes.  Doing a

ok>setenv fcode-debug? false
ok>reset-all

when the system came back a probe-scsi showed the disks now, and when
I boot they are in dmesg.

I still had to put a VTOC on them since, in my case they were IBM
disks, or wiped Sun disks:

/sbin/gpart create -s VTOC8 da1

Then

/sbin/gpart add -t freebsd-ufs da1

to create one big partition.

Then a newfs as usual and you're good to go!

gordonzaft at gmail.com