Fwd: FreeBSD Sparc 11.0 RC1 Install Problem

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Wed Sep 7 21:57:57 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 03:11:53PM +0000, Chris wrote:

> [...]

Hi,

while syscons(4) and vt(4) don't play well together on sparc64 when
both are compiled into the same kernel (as it's the case for 11.0-RC2
GENERIC), I can't actually trigger a boot hang with that combo.
Unfortunately, the information provided above also doesn't make much
sense; e. g. vt(4) already is the default with 11.0-RC2 GENERIC so
setting it via loader.conf is redundant and it remains unclear what
vt(4) is doing, i. e. whether it is driving some hardware (or at
least trying to).
How did you obtain the nexus0 line or see that the boot hangs after
uhub2; are you using LOM or serial console? Is there actually a
graphics card in that machine? What happens if you use a custom
built kernel without vt(4)?