/usr/bin/sort may be incorrect

Joerg Wunsch j at uriah.heep.sax.de
Tue Apr 12 05:58:04 UTC 2016

As Marius Strobl wrote:

> AFAICT is sort(1) relying on undefined behavior.

That matches my observation: on FreeBSD 9 (which is still installed on
my sparc64 box), I could successfully build zsh without problems.
Since the major difference from there to current FreeBSD/sparc64 is
the change of the compiler (GCC vs. Clang), this is also a strong
indication of undefined behaviour effects (I think).

Alas, my attempt to install FreeBSD 10.2 on a second disk on that
machine ended up with a kernel that stalled at mounting the root FS,
that's why I didn't investigate further by that time.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/