UFS mount failure - disk slice created on and64, unable to mount on sparc64

John-Mark Gurney jmg at funkthat.com
Sat Oct 17 18:44:33 UTC 2015

Vasile Buruiana wrote this message on Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 21:32 +0300:
> Found a bug in FreeBSD 10.2.
> An UFS disk slice created under sparc64 cannot be mounted under amd64.
> And reverse:  UFS disk slice created under amd64 cannot be mounted
> under sparc64. This also happens with hard disks on both MBR and VTOC8
> partition schemes, on both UFS and ZFS filesystems.

Sadly, this is due to the fact that sparc64 is big endian, and our UFS
implementation isn't bi-endian...  If you need to make a UFS file system
on amd64 for use on sparc64, use the makefs utility w/ the option -B big
to create it...

Just ran into the same issue on an EdgeRouter Lite, which is a big
endian MIPS64 machine...

Though I'm a bit surprized that it happens w/ ZFS as ZFS is suppose
to support either endianness automaticly..  Did you try this on raw
disks?

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579