Sparc64 doesn't care about you, and you shouldn't care about Sparc64

Alfred Perlstein bright at mu.org
Tue Nov 17 06:44:04 UTC 2015

Warner, thanks for addressing this email.  I think I wasn't clear which
lead to some misunderstanding.  I'll keep this reply succinct and the
rest of it inline.  Please don't take the succinctness as anything other
than getting to the point.

On 11/16/15 10:22 PM, Warner Losh wrote:

> [...]
>         crisis is
>         due to
>         the end of life of gcc in the tree and its fallout coupled
>         with some
>         neglect of the
>         port due to time constraints.
>
>         At first I was all for removal. With more data, I'm less sure.
>         If the
>         promises are kept
>         made in this thread, it looks to remain viable for a while,
>         though the lack
>         of a
>         qemu-user solution means that packages for a slow platform
>         (where they are
>         really quite useful) will remain limited. Maybe there's enough
>         hardware
>         around
>         that third-party pkg repos can fill the gap, maybe not. I
>         think we should
>         experiment
>         with this model and see what it produces. Give the branching
>         of 11 as the
>         deadline
>         to show something viable...
>

>     One of the things I never understood about FreeBSD's method of
>     maintaining a port was the way the platform porting was done.  We
>     really do things in a different manner than what my perception of
>     other OSes is.
>
>     My impression (please do correct me if I'm wrong) was that other
>     OSes such as NetBSD and Linux had "platform maintainers".
>
>     These maintainers were around to:
>     1) keep the ship sailing on those platforms
>     2) guide the general code base from becoming non-portable to other
>     architectures (within reason).
>     3) drive the release of the architecture in question, helping the
>     release engineer with image building and release testing.
>
>     For point 1 above, what that meant to me was that let's say Linus
>     or NetBSD in general wanted to do a major or minor change on a
>     tier 1 platform, then it was the responsibility of the *platform
>     maintainers* to do the work on the non tier-1 platforms to keep
>     them up to date. Those "platform maintainers" kept those ships
>     sailing and in return they got to be called "the $arch maintainer"
>     which looks plenty good on a resume and also feels good for those
>     that get excited for status.
>

> I'm not sure how the people that actually take care of these things on
> FreeBSD differ.  There are people
> recognized as go-to people for the different ports that are fairly
> active in the on-going issues that come
> up with kernel code. Userland code doesn't seem to matter that much
> given the platforms we support.
>
> For PowerPC, you have Nathan W and Justin Hibbits. For mips, there's
> Adrian, myself, Julie Mallet and a few
> others. For arm there's a long cast of characters. For PC98 there's
> Takahashi-san. For sparc64 there's Marius.
> These people keep the ship sailing (or in some cases they remove the
> ship form the tree). They advise
> discussions about issues that are relevant to the platform, like cache

This is how we diverge:
> they call people out when they break these platforms or when people
> used to big systems adjust the
> tuning and break small systems.
That is not done as far as I can tell in NetBSD/Linux.   In Linux/NetBSD
it is the job of the maintainer to keep the platform up to date, not to
call out when someone breaks it.

Meaning ideal:
"Oh someone broke alignment in this struct on my platform, let me ask
them how to fix it."

As opposed to (not ideal):
"Something broke my platform, let me track that guy down and make them
fix it."

Well, earlier in this email you said this exact thing:

> they call people out when they break these platforms or when people
> used to big systems adjust the
> tuning and break small systems.
That's how I see the difference.

> [...]
>     ownership of the platform to someone, who maintains the status as
>     "maintainer" by keeping that platform working. By keeping the
>     platform working I am saying that they would do items 1, 2 and 3
>     from the NetBSD/Linux list. However, instead nearly immediately
>     hoist the "platform maintenance" onto the general community of
>     people that may not have access to the hardware in question.
>

> Do you have a specific example of when we've done this? As far as I
> know, based on powerpc, arm and
> mips anyway, the people claiming to be maintainers are actively doing
> 1, 2 and helping RE do number
> 3 to varying degrees. As far as I know, they all have access to some
> or all of the hardware they are
> maintaining, and many of our power users participate in the process as
> well.

>     Maybe this is just my perception, but it would seem to make a ton
>     more sense to follow the NetBSD/Linux model which implies a
>     somewhat decoupled release model (not all arches must come out on
>     the same ) and assigning ownership and responsibility in exchange
>     for status based on being the "platform maintainer".
>

> So, rather than generalizations, be specific. Who do you think is
> claiming to be a port maintainer, blocking
> progress and needs to be replaced?
>
> And what, beyond what the re@ does today, would you do differently?
> What do we gain over what we do
> for tier 1 platforms? Is there a platform wanting a release that isn't
> getting one? mips has two different
> groups that have put out releases for it, with one of them fading into
> the background. Adiran is making
> wifi builds available, already following this model you say we should
> adopt. The japanese user groups are
> putting out PC98 releases now that the re@ has dropped them (they
> never really stopped in the mean
> time). sparc64, powerpc, arm, i386 and amd64 are all released by re at .
> ia64 has been removed from the
> tree. What other platforms are there? What else needs to be done.
>
>     Finally it would be pretty obvious when everyone steps down or
>     just doesn't participate in the release process that it may be
>     time to sunset a platform.
>

> That's why we are having the conversation about sparc64. It looked
> like it might no longer be
> participating in the normal process. Now, while there are some issues
> that were identified with
> sparc64, some of them are real (see qemu and difficulties building in
> the cluster). Some of them
> were just perception (the reduced numbers of commits to sparc64 didn't
> seem to represent
> a problem with the platform and the perceived issues had been cleared up)
>
> So what, specific, actionable items do we as a project actually need
> to do here? I'm sure there are some
> and that we can improve our process. I'm having trouble teasing out
> what I, as someone who dabbles
> in arm and mips to varying degrees of 'maintainership' for different

Three things:
1) I am wondering if core (or the community in general) should have some
way of nominating a particular person as a platform maintainer.  This
would give accolades to that person and at the same time give us a point
person.  I believe part of the problem is that we don't give enough
status to the port maintainers, are they on the website?  How would I
know who is the "king of mips" right now?  Does someone get to put in on
their resume with backing from the project?  If not, then the maintainer
will be grumbly as opposed to facilitating.

2) The role of platform maintainer needs not to be a blocking role, but
rather a continual porting role.  Specifically to avoid the "calling
out" (sorry for the quotes here, but just want to get the point across)
and instead function as a do-er/facilitator.  Meaning if something
breaks a secondary platform it's a shared responsibility of the port
maintainer and developer to fix it, but solely the developer.

3) Tight coupling of the system.  While it's good to cross train release
engineering with various platforms and even more so it's REALLY great
that this is being well received, the end result is a very tight
coupling of the system that can lead to frustrations and logjams when
things go wrong.  Something that FreeBSD very often gets wrong is the
strong unification of its various parts, you can see this in so many
aspects of how we do things (releases, VFS, platforms) as opposed to
other projects.  It is an admirable aspiration, however it results in
much lock-step of the entire project and doesn't scale.

-Alfred