FreeBSD 10-STABLE/sparc64 panic

Chris Ross cross+freebsd at distal.com
Thu Oct 2 13:37:34 UTC 2014

On Oct 1, 2014, at 22:53 , Chris Ross <cross+freebsd at distal.com> wrote:
> On Sep 29, 2014, at 00:22 , John-Mark Gurney <jmg at funkthat.com> wrote:
>> If you could get a core dump (call doadump) that'd be good, but dumping
>> the stack of the tid that held the spinlock too long would be a good
>> start..
>
>  I fear I'm going to need some help doing this.  I'm not sure what I need to
> do to get into ddb.  (And, after that, I'm not sure how to dump the stack of
> the tld that held the spinlock)

  Okay.  I rebuilt GENERIC after adding options DDB, and found the following:

spin lock 0xc0ccbdb0 (smp rendezvous) held by 0xfffff8000559f6d0 (tid 100351) too long
timeout stopping cpus
panic: spin lock held too long
[...]
db> thread 100351
[ thread pid 299 tid 100351 ]
sched_switch+0x3e0:     call            cpu_switch
db> thread
[ thread pid 299 tid 100351 ]
sched_switch+0x3e0:     call            cpu_switch
db> bt
Tracing pid 299 tid 100351 td 0xfffff8000559f6d0
mi_switch() at mi_switch+0x19c
critical_exit() at critical_exit+0x9c
spinlock_exit() at spinlock_exit+0x8
turnstile_chain_unlock() at turnstile_chain_unlock+0x6c
__mtx_unlock_sleep() at __mtx_unlock_sleep+0x9c
bge_init() at bge_init+0x5c
ether_ioctl() at ether_ioctl+0x70
M_PLIMIT() at M_PLIMIT+0x8
db> dump
Cannot dump: no dump device specified.
db>

  Apparently, I don't have a dump device set, so I'll to fix that next and get a
core dump.  I'm not sure, however, if what I provided above was the stack of
the tid as was requested.  At least, it's not 100% consistent.  Since I had a
DDB kernel running, while trying to get the system back up to multiuser, I did
get many more panic's to experiment with, and doing the same
"thread NNN", "bt" on many passes I sometimes got different results.
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?  Or worse, it may not be 100%
consistent.  :-/

  A pointer to what I need to do within ddb would be appreciated, if I'm
doing anything wrong (or suboptimmally), or any other instructions. I'll try
to get a dump device specified.

  Thanks.

              - Chris