FreeBSD 10-STABLE/sparc64 panic

Nathaniel W Filardo nwf at cs.jhu.edu
Mon May 19 21:38:01 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 05:19:23PM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:
> On May 19, 2014, at 16:50, Nathaniel W Filardo <nwf at cs.jhu.edu> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 03:35:29PM -0400, Nathaniel W Filardo wrote:
> >> I'm currently going way back to 44aad33d (r261716) and will see what
> >> happens.
> >
> > First boot went fine, second boot failed in the same way.  Blech.
>

>   I fear we may be tracking two issues, or otherwise have a problem
> in our communications or processes.
>
>   I built and installed r262783, and have booted it three times to
> multi-user on the first try.  The same was true with two boots of
> r262743 earlier.
>
>   You said at some point that the traceback changed.  Depending
> on specifics of our hardwares, there may be two problems on yours
> an only one on mine.  I’m grasping, here, but.  You’re using a v240,
> correct?  Mine has two 1.5 Ghz Ultra-Sparc-IIIi’s in it, and 8 GB of
> memory.   And just the on-board hardware otherwise, two disk drives.

There's apparently some variance in the traceback -- sometimes several
interfaces get set up, sometimes they don't, but I think it's all the same
issue; it's at least got the same synopsys: smp rendezvous held too long
during network configuration. (Or, in that one rare case, later during pf
initialization.)

Your hardware sounds pretty close to the hardware I'm running here... except
I've got 16GB and a mvs SATA card with a few disks hanging off of it.

>   I suppose I can keep moving forward, but I’m dismayed that we’re
> getting such different results on what we thought was the same test.

Indeed; this machine has been useless for days while I have been apparently
futilely bisecting.  To make sure I wasn't crazy, I went and rebuilt the
head of stable/10 and there every boot to multiuser attempted thus far has
panic()d.

I'm giving up out of frustration, sorry; going to use the current install to
build 9-STABLE and jump ship.  If that still explodes, I'll try coming up
from media for 9-RELEASE and will certainly let people know, because at that
point something very strange is going on.

Cheers and sorry to abandon the quest,
--nwf;