SSL acceleration cards

John-Mark Gurney jmg at funkthat.com
Thu Mar 13 21:47:02 UTC 2014

Riccardo Veraldi wrote this message on Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 20:31 +0100:
> the problem is that SSL applications like SSH fiel transfer with SCP or SFTP
> performs terrivle on  Ultra SPARC III CPU, on 1Gbit network LAN
> i get only 3MB/s, and this is CPU bottle neck...
> i thought that a SSL accel card could help out a bit on my sun blade 1000
> but maybe I am wrong...

If you load cryptodev.ko and have a card, you will be able to make use
of the accelerator card... depending upon how much you are willing to
pay will determine the performance...

For example, the hifn mini-pci card w/ a 7954 that is readily available
will only do 128bit AES at 19Mbps (bits), so that'd be slower than what
you're seeing now...

I have not been able to find a card that is >100Mbps that isn't the cost
of a complete new computer...  Though I'd be willing to be proven wrong..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579