Call for help: clang/llvm for sparc64

Roman Divacky rdivacky at freebsd.org
Thu Jan 16 21:31:09 UTC 2014

Hi!

LLVM is getting a sparc64 backend. It can even selfhost on linux. But it cant
on FreeBSD. I am wondering what causes that difference.

A small test case where the difference can be seen is compiling tcsh from
base. The gethost utility used during the build just coredumps. I suspect
fixing that might get us on par with linux.

So I am looking for someone who is willing to compile llvm/clang and
analyze whats wrong with gethost in tcsh compilation.

This is how to do it (you need trunk llvm/clang):

svn co http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/trunk llvm
cd llvm/
svn co http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/cfe/trunk clang
cd ../
CFLAGS=-fno-strict-aliasing CXXFLAGS=-fno-strict-aliasing ./configure --enable-optimized --enable-targets=sparc64
make
make install

will give you a clang binary that you can use for tcsh compilation:

cd /usr/src/bin/csh
CC=clang make

I am more than willing to help with llvm/clang side of this but I dont know
anything about sparc64 so I need help. But please contact me if you want to
help!

Thanks, Roman