sunfire v440

Joerg Wunsch j at uriah.heep.sax.de
Mon May 20 18:18:57 UTC 2013

As Riccardo Veraldi wrote:

> the LOM is another layer before this ?

LOM is the "lights out monitor", a device that is already active
during standby, and is able to poweron/poweroff the machine remotely.
It operates on the standard console serial port, alternatively with
the normal system console.  ("console" in LOM enters sytem console
mode, "#." goes back to LOM.)

On the SunFire machines, the old LOM has been implemented as ALOM
(advanced lights out monitor), which takes longer to boot :), and
offers some more features like network access.  It requires a password
to be accessed, and the password policy is very strict.  If the
password is not known, the only way to set it to a known value is
through a Solaris command.

I don't think you can enter a kernel name at the (A)LOM level.  Even
on the OBP prompt, the name of the kernel to enter is IMHO not being
propagated into FreeBSD's boot environment.

I didn't have trouble booting a FreeBSD CD-ROM on my SunFire V210,
but offhand, I can't tell which exact version I have been using to
install the machine.
--
cheers, Joerg               .-.-.   --... ...--   -.. .  DL8DTL

http://www.sax.de/~joerg/