console stops with 9.1-RELEASE when under forwarding load

YongHyeon PYUN pyunyh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 07:26:08 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 01:19:56AM -0500, Kurt Lidl wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > Now this card can source traffic at about 250 mbit/sec and can sink
> > > traffic around 204 mbit/sec.
> > >
> > > But the real question is - how is the forwarding performance?
> > >
> > > So I setup a test between some machines:
> > >
> > > A --tcp data--> em0-sparc64-em1 --tcp data--> B
> > > |                                             |
> > > \---------<--------tcp acks-------<-----------/
> > >
> > > So, A sends to interface em0 on the sparc64, the sparc64
> > > forward out em1 to host B, and the ack traffic flows out
> > > a different interface from B to A.  (A and B are amd64
> > > machines, with Gig-E interfaces that are considerably
> > > faster than the sparc64 machines.)
> > >
> > > This test works surprisingly well -- 270 mbit/sec of forwarding
> > > traffic, at around 29500 packets/second.
> > >
> > > The problem is when I change the test to send the tcp ack traffic
> > > back through the sparc64 (so, ack traffic goes from B into em1,
> > > then forwarded out em0 to A), while doing the data in the same way.
> > >
> > > The console of the sparc64 becomes completely unresponsive during
> > > the running of this test.  The 'netstat 1' that I been running just
> > > stops.  When the data finishes transmitting, the netstat output
> > > gives one giant jump, counting all the packets that were sent during
> > > the test as if they happened in a single second.
> > >
> > > It's pretty clear that the process I'm running on the console isn't
> > > receiving any cycles at all.  This is true for whatever I have
> > > running on the console of machine -- a shell, vmstat, iostat,
> > > whatever.  It just hangs until the forwarding test is over.
> > > Then the console input/output resumes normally.
> > >
> > > Has anybody else seen this type of problem?
> > >

> > I don't see what could be a sparc64-specific problem in this case.
> > You are certainly pushing the hardware beyond its limits though and
> > it would be interesting to know how a similarly "powerful" i386
> > machine behaves in this case.
> > In any case, in order to not burn any CPU cycles needlessly, you
> > should use a kernel built from a config stripped down to your
> > requirements and with options SMP removed to get the maximum out
> > of a UP machine. It could also be that SCHED_ULE actually helps
> > in this case (there's a bug in 9.1-RELEASE causing problems with
> > SCHED_ULE and SMP on sparc64, but for UP it should be fine).
>
> I updated the kernel tree on one of my sparc64 machines to the
> latest version of 9-STABLE, and gave the following combinations a
> try:
> 	SMP+ULE
> 	SMP+4BSD
> 	non-SMP+ULE
> 	non-SMP+4BSD
> They all performed about the same, in terms of throughput,
> and about the same in terms of user-responsiveness when under load.
> None were responsive when forwarding ~214mbit/sec of traffic.
>
> I played around a bit with tuning of the rx/tx queue depths for the
> em0/em1 devices, but none of that had any perceptable difference in
> the level of throughput or responsiveness of the machine.

If my memory serve me right, em(4) requires considerably fast
machine to offset the overhead of taskqueue(9). Because the
taskqueue handler is enqueued again and again under heavy RX
network load, most system cycles would be consumed in the
taskqueue handler.
Try polling(4) and see whether it makes any difference. I'm not
sure whether polling(4) works on sparc64 though.