smartmontools panics 9.1-RELEASE on sunfire 240

Kurt Lidl lidl at pix.net
Tue Feb 5 06:06:56 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 11:10:24PM +0100, Marius Strobl wrote:
> Could you please revert the patches to sys/cam/cam_periph.c and smartd.cpp
> of smartmontools and try with the following kernel patch instead?
> http://people.freebsd.org/~marius/ata_pio_odd_buf.diff

OK - I was finally able to test this out.

I completely reverted a machine (sunfire V120) to a stock 9.1-RELEASE
kernel.  I completely reverted the smartmontools.

I double-checked that the combination of that kernel, and that binary
still caused the problem. Check.

Then I applied your patch to the kernel and tried the smartd program
again.  No panic.

It appears your patch fixes the problem.
Thanks!

-Kurt