Call for testing and review, busdma changes

Ian Lepore freebsd at damnhippie.dyndns.org
Sun Dec 30 18:21:38 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-12-24 at 22:13 -0500, Scott Long wrote:

> Why would these allocations not be handled as normal dynamic buffers
> would with bus_dmamap_load()?
>
> Scott

That's my point -- for "normal dynamic buffers" (that is, they weren't
obtained from bus_dmamem_alloc() and they aren't mbufs) which can have
arbitrary alignment and padding in relation to cache line boundaries --
we don't handle them correctly now unless they're accidentally already
aligned and sized to the right boundaries.  What's unresolved is how to
handle them correctly if they're not aligned/padded, that is, what to do
about them that avoids needing a partial cacheline flush at sync time.

-- Ian