Changes to kern.geom.debugflags?

Chris Ross cross at distal.com
Sun Dec 23 21:56:46 UTC 2012

  I had brought up a machine months ago with freebsd-9-stable.  I configured it to boot off of a single disk, with ZFS, expecting I would likely later attach the other disk to the zpool.  I tried to do that today, but find that I can't write the bootloader to either disk.

  Google searching shows what I used last time, that if you get a:

gpart: /dev/da0a: Operation not permitted

  you need to run

sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=0x10

  But, that doesn't change anything for me now.  I can write the boot label (using gpart bootcode -p /boot/zfsboot ${disk}) to neither disk, getting the same error in both cases.

  Has something changed recently?  I'm currently using a Dec 22 9-stable codebase, built locally with GENERIC kernel.

                     - Chris