"panic: cpu_initclocks: could not determine STICK frequency" booting V890

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Tue May 17 09:11:23 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 11:05:55AM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> I've found an unused V890 (64GB RAM, 8 dual-core 1.35GHz US-IV CPUs,
> 12 146GB FC disks) and thought I'd try FreeBSD on it (especially since
> I had a copy of FreeBSD-8.2-RC2 lying around on CD).  My initial try
> failed with "panic: kmem_suballoc: bad status return of 3" but
> limiting the RAM to 4GB with hw.physmem worked around that.
> Unfortunately, it then panic's as above.

That should no longer be necessary with recent versions of head and
stable/8.

> Looking at the sources, the only recent change in that area of
> sparc64/sparc64/tick.c is related to Serengeti-class machines (which
> the V890 isn't).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?  A verbose boot is available at
> http://pastie.org/1913906

I'd need an OFW device tree dump (`prtconf -Ppv` with Solaris) of that
machine in order to check what's wrong with it and to decide how to
solve it. All dumps of V890 I got so far show no difference in the
layout of the stick timer property, i.e. the existing code should work
just fine there.