FreeBSD 8.2 install on TI UltraSparc II (BlackBird)

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at acm.org
Fri Dec 30 03:56:53 UTC 2011

On 2011-Dec-29 06:12:43 -0800, Ricki Z <rz.bangka at yahoo.com> wrote:
>I have a question, whether the FreeBSD 8.2 fully support for TI
>UltraSparc II  (BlackBird)? if yes, is there any thread/reference how
>to install FreeBSD 8.2 on the TI UltraSparc II  (BlackBird)?

It's more a question of whether FreeBSD 8.2 supports whatever system
is built around your US-II.  Unlike the PC, there's much more
variation in the SPARC world and the kernel needs to know about the
hardware.  Check out http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/sparc.html

As for installing, it's much the same as for x86 - either boot an
installation DVD or netboot.  Main differences are that it's not
possible to multiboot (each different OS needs a distinct disk)
and you can't boot ZFS.

--
Peter Jeremy