'make -j16 universe' gives SIReset

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Tue Aug 9 09:53:47 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 01:40:04PM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2011-Aug-07 02:05:37 +0800, Marius Strobl <marius at alchemy.franken.de> wrote:
> >Could you please give the below patch a try? This is just a shot in the
> >dark though.
>
> No change.  Running pho@'s stress test with INCARNATIONS=150 results
> in 'thr1' wedging after about 2 hrs (2 thr1 processes in "urdlck" and
> a pile of zombies).

Kib, do you happen to have an idea what could be going on causing
no process being able to grab the lock in do_rw_rdlock() (see also
20110706042634.GP65891 at pjdesk.au.alcatel-lucent.com)?
The whole user mutex implementation (both kernel and userland side)
seems weird to me as things like _has_waiters and m_owner sometimes
are updated atomically and sometimes not, sometimes using memory
barriers and sometimes not ...