sparc64/146387: 'file' command on sparc64 doesn't interpret sparc64 (V9) executables

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Sat May 15 22:50:07 UTC 2010

The following reply was made to PR sparc64/146387; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Marius Strobl <marius at alchemy.franken.de>
To: yuri at tsoft.com
Cc: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn at FreeBSD.org>
Subject: Re: sparc64/146387: 'file' command on sparc64 doesn't interpret sparc64 (V9) executables
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 00:40:35 +0200

 > >  Yuri wrote:
 > >  >
 > >  > On sparc64:
 > >  >
 > >  >> file `which file`
 > >  >>
 > >  > /usr/bin/file: ERROR: ELF 64-bit MSB executable, SPARC V9, relaxed memory ordering, version 1 (FreeBSD), statically linkederror reading (File too large)
 > >  >
 > >  > But when I try 'file' from i386 it correctly recognizes sparc64 executables.
 > >  >

 Could you please try with file and libmagic rebuilt with the following
 patch?
 http://people.freebsd.org/~marius/libmagic_config.h_5.03.diff

 I can't reproduce the exact same problem but the issues I have with
 file(1) and ELF binaries are fixed with it.