sparc64/147877: xz fails to extract files on sparc64

Manuel Schiller mala at hinterbergen.de
Tue Jun 15 12:20:02 UTC 2010

>Number:         147877
>Category:       sparc64
>Synopsis:       xz fails to extract files on sparc64
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD router.hinter.bergen2 8.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-PRERELEASE #3: Fri Jun 11 09:20:57 CEST 2010 root at router.hinter.bergen2:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC sparc64

	Sun Netra T1 200
	When trying to extract a file compressed in the xz format,
	/usr/bin/xz fails with the message

	/usr/bin/xz: mpfr-3.0.0.tar.xz: Compressed data is corrupt

	Since the file as downloaded from the internet passes both the
	MD5 and SHA256 checksum test (and decompesses correctly on a
	amd64 linux machine with the same version of the xz utility),
	I assume that there are some portability issues which should
	be addressed.

>How-To-Repeat:
	Execute on a sparc64 box:

	fetch  http://www.mpfr.org/mpfr-current/mpfr-3.0.0.tar.xz
	xz -d mpfr-3.0.0.tar.xz
>Fix:

	Apart from decompressing the file somewhere else, I do not
        know how to fix this.