Problems conecting serial port (Sun Enterprise 250)

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Fri Jul 9 13:48:27 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 12:05:10PM +0200, Narciso Martinez wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I was trying connect with this server by serial port but I don't get it.
>
> I tried with minicom and gtkterm but I don't get it.
>
> For this conection I have to build this cable and all pins are work
> perfectly (multimeter), I use the next conections from this site:
> http://www.obsolyte.com/sunFAQ/serial/
>

>     25 pin          9 pin
>     pin 1 GND  -  pin 1 GND
>     pin 2 TXD  -  pin 3 RXD
>     pin 3 RXD  -  pin 3 TXD
>     pin 4 RTS  -  pin 8 CTS
>     pin 5 CTS  -  pin 7 RTS
>     pin 7 gnd  -  pin 5 gnd
>     pin 6 DSR  -  pin 4 DTR
>     pin 20 DTR -  pin 6 DSR
>

> Is this correct? What could be the problem?

The above pinout appears to be a useless mix between an 1:1 and a
null-modem adapter. For the null-modem adapter you need pin 2 of
the D-Sub 9 conntected should be connected to pin 2 if the D-Sub
25 one, and pin 3 to pin 3, while the other connecteions in the
above pinout actually is close to a  null-modem adapter. For a
complete D-Sub 9 to 25 null-modem pinout see here:
http://pinouts.ru/SerialPortsCables/Nullmodem9to9_pinout.shtml