Everything is installed, X does not work completely

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Wed Dec 22 15:14:56 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 08:07:44AM -0500, Super Bisquit wrote:
> I redid the installation.
> Only installed mach64 driver.
> I added the clock section, trying 28.636 then 29.5 as values.

Some googling suggest that for PGX64 the value to use is 29.500.
At least mine also has an oscillator which reads "29." followed by
some letters, I don't know how to decode these though.

> New xorg.conf.new http://slexy.org/view/s20yam1lZu
>
> Now the monitor blacks out, which is an improvement from a no signal call.
>
> New /var/log/Xorg.0.log http://slexy.org/view/s203VP3WtN
>
> I'm going to argue for the ">setenv output-device /path/to/graphics card"
> for reason that until I did so, the default was for the UPA/sunffb.

Depends; the default for using graphical output (as opposed to a serial
console) is to set the output-device to "screen" optionally followed by
the mode (and the input-device to "keyboard"), which is automatically
aliased to the installed graphics device. Of course that mechanism might
not pick the desired default graphics device if more than one is installed.

> So, the question is: "I have a connection to the monitor but a black screen
> with nothing, what am I missing from xorg.conf.new?"

The problem at hand is that all the modes you configured are rejected
due to the hsync being out of range:
116. (II) MACH64(0): Not using default mode "1280x960" (hsync out of range)
117. (II) MACH64(0): Not using default mode "640x480" (hsync out of range)
<...>

I'm not sure why X decides that as at least some of the default modelines
also listed in that log file for the respective resolution actually appear
to be within that range. I'd first check whether the configured ranges
are actually correct as they seem relatively modest given that f.e. even a
rather old Sun GDM 5010PT already did HorizSync 30.0 - 96.0 and then add
explicit modelines for the configured resolutions which are within the
ranges of your CRT.