Unbound from ports: __sparc_utrap: fatal illegal instruction

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Sat Dec 18 20:15:49 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 01:38:27PM +0100, Mauro Calderara wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> I'm trying to get a DNS name resolver running on a sparc64 FreeBSD 8.1
> within a jail.

IIRC the base BIND works fine on sprac64.

> After having failed with powerdns-recursor (doesn't even compile) I
> tried unbound from /usr/ports/dns/unbound. That one compiles, but it
> dies with the following error:
>
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/unbound onestart
> Starting unbound.
> __sparc_utrap: fatal illegal instruction
> __sparc_utrap: fatal illegal instruction
> Bus error (core dumped)
>
> /var/log/messages contains:
>
> pid 36192 (unbound), uid 0: exited on signal 10 (core dumped)
>
> The error message seems to come from lib/libc/sparc64/sys/
> __sparc_utrap.c. The main question is whether this is more of a
> FreeBSD/sparc64 issue or whether that's a software problem. If it is a
> FreeBSD/sparc64 problem: what should I try? The error kind of suggests
> that the binary contains illegal instructions, which would be a
> compiler issue but I can't tell.
>
> Any hints?

There are also a few other cases in which a program gets killed with
SIGILL, f.e. when the stack overflows due to an infinite recursion
in the program. Actually, such bugs are more likely to hit than
compiler or OS bugs.
I'd suggest to build unbound with debugging symbols and to obtain
a backtrace in order to get an idea what the actual problem could
be.