Is it easy to netboot sun fire V210 using only sparc64 iso image and intel host?

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Fri Apr 23 17:02:42 UTC 2010

Craig Butler wrote:
> Yuri did you get my off list reply ??

Thank you Craig and /Joerg Wunsch./
I got my Sparc booting through NFS, and it works like a charm now.

The only correction I make to instructions (al least to make a diskless
host):
* delete /tftpboot/boot/mfsroot.gz
* in /tftboot/boot/loader.conf:
mfsroot_load="NO"
vfs.root.mountfrom="nfs:<nfs-host-ip>:<nfs-host-sparc-root>"
* on NFS host create some directory like /usr/diskless-sparc64
(<nfs-host-sparc-root>) into which unpack 'base' folder from
installation CD and (maybe) 'boot' directory.
* correct <nfs-host-sparc-root>/etc/fstab to mount appropriate
directories (/home, etc) from the appropriate NFS locations
* create <nfs-host-sparc-root>/etc/rc.conf to launch appropriate
services on boot, and particularly add swap if needed.

Otherwise mfsroot.gz drops into sysinstall, and it offers to partition
disks and netbooted stations are often (at least mine is) diskless.

Thank you again, I would have to spend much more time without them.
Yuri