freebsd-update(8) under sparc64? Why is it not available?

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Tue Apr 13 01:36:07 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 05:11:31PM -0400, Miles Nordin wrote:
> Colin's position is totally ridiculous: people offer build resources
> of exotic, heavy, power-hungry hardware to the FreeBSD project, which
> already has scripts and frameworks for producing timely builds, but he
> believes these offers are conterproductive [...]

The problem is that we're effectively guaranteeing that bits pushed out
via freebsd-update are secure.  Our traditional view is that machines
that are loaned to us aren't sufficiently secure for us to be able to
stand behind that guarantee.

Right now the machines used to produce those bits are dedicated to that
purpose and that purpose only, and are physically and logistically
secure.

If someone wants to donate a sufficiently capable sparc64 machine to the
project that can be installed under similar constraints, I'm all ears.
Right now we don't have one.

mcl