sparc64 builds and hardware

Erich Jenkins, Fuujin Group Ltd erich at fuujingroup.com
Sat Apr 10 07:55:05 UTC 2010

Mark Linimon wrote:
> My guess is that these would either be useful for building releases,
> or just general src regression testing.
>
> Although I'd be delighted to use them for package building, that would
> mean leaving them on all the time.
>
> mcl

Well, I'd like to see if I can make something happen. I ran the numbers
on this hardware (I was curious), and it's rather expensive. I fired one
up (running OpenBSD) just to see what the actual draw was under load,
and it's huge. 2.243kW per machine. Not counting the cooling load, we
pay $0.06/kW-H here, and that works out to $193.54/month to simply power
both of them. At 11.3kBTU/h in heat output, these will consume roughly 2
tons of cooling capacity...

Erich M. Jenkins
Fuujin Group Limited

"You should never, never doubt what no one is sure about."
-- Gene Wilder