Is it posible to run FreeBSD/sparc64 on SunFire V215?

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Thu Sep 17 22:45:58 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 01:00:32PM +0400, KOT MATPOCKuH wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Is it possible to run FreeBSD/sparc64 on SunFire V215?
> This system is similar to SunFire V210/V240/V125, but have PCI-X and SAS disks.

The main difference is that V215 are based on the 'Fire'
JBus to PCI-Express bridges which the mainline FreeBSD
doesn't have a driver for so far.

> I'm tried to boot 8.0-BETA4, but it hangs after "jumping to kernel entry":

<...>

> As I know, OpenBSD 4.5 works on this platform, and I successfuly booted kernel.
> Why FreeBSD isn't ported to v215?

It's not like V215 smell bad or something but adding support
for additional sparc64 machines typically always requires a
developer with the necessary knowledge, time and interest to
have access to that hardware. I recently started working on
support for V215 and I at least can already netboot the
machine (which actually is UP):
http://people.freebsd.org/~marius/v215.txt
Things still missing are at least ata(4) (which as-is just
causes a panic when compiled in) and MSI support.