installing Solaris back onto ultra after FreeBSD

Royce Williams royce at alaska.net
Thu Feb 5 17:35:20 PST 2009

Ansar Mohammed wrote, on 2/5/2009 3:52 PM:
> For some reason when I try to reinstall Solaris on my Ultra, after
> installing FreeBSD, the install hangs when it tries to write to disk. Has
> anyone seen this before?

Hmm ... sounds like you didn't get an error - 'bad magic', 'label is
corrupt' - anything like that?

You may need to rewrite the disk label from a Solaris boot CD or other
mechanism. Caveat: it's been a looong time since I've done this, am
doing this from memory (and a little Googling).

Use the 'format' command to view the current labels.  If I recall
correctly, you have to use 'format -e' (expert mode), select the drive
in question, select 'label', and select SMI and then format the drive.

Some more info - search for EFI here:

    dlc.sun.com/pdf/817-5093/817-5093.pdf

Some other possibly useful threads:

    http://www.webservertalk.com/message1248306.html

Listers: is this covered in a FAQ somewhere?

Royce