sparc64/142102: FreeBSD 8.0 kernel panics on sparc64 when accessing NFS

Manuel Tobias Schiller mala at hinterbergen.de
Wed Dec 30 00:30:06 UTC 2009

The following reply was made to PR sparc64/142102; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Manuel Tobias Schiller <mala at hinterbergen.de>
To: Marius Strobl <marius at alchemy.franken.de>
Cc: Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com>, FreeBSD-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org,
 Manuel Tobias Schiller <mala at hinterbergen.de>
Subject: Re: sparc64/142102: FreeBSD 8.0 kernel panics on sparc64 when
 accessing NFS
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 01:25:55 +0100

 On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 19:53:58 +0100
 Marius Strobl <marius at alchemy.franken.de> wrote:
 > Oh, sorry, I had a bug in there, the svc code used a stale
 > pointer to the mbuf with this. Could you please re-fetch
 > and try again? I can't guarantee that this fixes the hang
 > you experienced but at least in theory just re-aligning
 > the data can't make the issue with the unaligned access
 > any worse. Using the LOM or by breaking into the kernel
 > by sending a break you should be able to power-cycle/
 > reboot the machine without removing the power cord should
 > it hang again though.
 > What NFS client and with which mount options are you
 > using to trigger is problem?
 >
 > Marius

 I managed to compile and test a kernel with your updated patch, and things
 seem to work. I'll try to stress-test it over the night by copying a few
 tens of gigabytes over and report back with the results. Also, if I'm
 reading your patch correctly, we should be able to do without the bcopy
 hack from PR 140797, so I'll recompile a kernel without it and try if that
 works as well.

 Thanks a lot for all your help and your patience!

 Manuel

 --
 Homepage: http://www.hinterbergen.de/mala