SOLVED: Re: Signal over range, WAS: X -configure fails: Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices. Configuration failed.

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Dec 22 20:27:00 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 12:26:03PM -0700, Warren Block wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> > Warren, thank you, but this doesn't help. I've added:
> >
> > Section "Monitor"
> > 	Identifier   "Monitor0"
> > 	HorizSync	30-50
> > 	VertRefresh	60
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "Device"
> > 	Identifier  "Card0"
> > 	Driver      "mach64"
> > 	BusID       "PCI:0:2:0"
> > EndSection
>
> Hmm.  Some web searching says non-Intel platforms might need a different
> reference clock:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-sparc-faq.xml#doc_chap4_sect1

out of desperation was re-reading the manual and saw this:

	Starting with Xorg 7.4 and above, this test produces
	a black screen which may make it difficult to diagnose
	whether X11 is working properly. The older behavior
	is still available by using the retro option:

	# Xorg -config xorg.conf.new -retro

so, yes, I got the grey screen and a cross, and the mouse
seems to be working.

Warren, many thanks for your help!

--
Anton Shterenlikht