firmware update on Blade 1500

Gheorghe Ardelean ardelean at ww.uni-erlangen.de
Fri Dec 4 16:13:45 UTC 2009

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 04:29:50PM +0100, Gheorghe Ardelean wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> maybe I can copy the file somewhere under /boot/kernel
>>> and pretend it's a kernel, and try to boot it?
>>
>> I am always netbooting the firmware file. Until now it worked for me (from
>> Ultra Sparc 1, 2, 5, 10, 30 and to Blade100).
>> I suppose it works also for Blade1500 but I never did it.
>> Maybe you give it a try.
>>
>> Just use your other FreeBSD machines as rarp + tftp server to deviler the
>> file. The file should be renamed (or linked) to it's hex IP equivalent.
>> tcpdump is your friend here!
>
> sorry, could you please elaborate or give a link, I'm not familiar with
> this. What's rarp? tftp? IP equivalent?
>
> maybe you got an example from your old netbooting?

please add to /etc/rc.conf
inetd_enable="YES"
than edit /etc/inetd.conf and enable tftp (there are 2 entries in that
file one for IPv4 and one for IPv6) after that /etc/rc.d/inetd start

write down the MAC of your Blade1500 and add an entry to /etc/ethers
something like:

xx:yy:zz:aa:bb:cc   blade1500

and add a line to /etc/hosts containing the mapping of the blade1500
hostname (see ethers) to ir's IP. Eg:

192.168.1.13		blade1500

after this is done start the RARP daemon. I am always doing it like this:

rarpd -adfsv

In an other terminal you can run tcpdump to see the request from the
blade1500 and if you have the correct file name.
In this case (IP:192.168.1.13) the file in /tftpboot should be named
COA8010D or a symbolic link to the actual firmware file.

Now on the serial console of the Blade1500 say 'boot net' and that's it.

Regards,

Gheorghe Ardelean.