UltraSparc III still busted - X server causes hang, current panics at boot

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Mon Apr 20 18:58:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 03:11:28PM +0100, Marius Strobl wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 03:03:24PM +0100, Marius Strobl wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 08:25:14AM -0500, Mark Linimon wrote:
> > > Right now x11 isn't buildable on sparc64-current no matter what the
> > > machine (e.g. US-II as well).  We are in the middle of a great deal
> > > of ports churn for various reasons.  I have asked for some help from
> > > various port maintainers to fix the problems.  However, not everyone
> > > has access to a sparc64 machine for testing.
> > >

> > FYI, with ports as of 20090322 the only problem hit compile-
> > wise when installing xorg on a V210 running r189533 was that
> > xorg-drivers depends on xf86-video-intel, which is marked
> > amd64 and i386 only. This was with WITHOUT_HAL defined though.
> > X.Org 7.4 might have additional problems on a more recent
> > CURRENT, which are unlikely to be sparc64-specific then
> > however. Could you please commit the patch below using your
> > portmngr-hat?
> >

> Hrm, thinking about it the version below is probably more
> appropriate as it also takes other architectures like
> powerpc into account.

FYI, the X.Org 7.4 ports now work and package fine again on
sparc64, this requires at least the following versions or
later and r188018 (r189080 for 7-STABLE) though:
dri-7.4_1,2
libGL-7.4_1
libGLU-7.4_1
libpciaccess-0.10.5,6
xf86-video-sunffb-1.2.0_1
xorg-server-1.5.3_8,1

This also includes sun4u machines based on USIII or greater
and equipped with cards driven by creator(4) or machfb(4),
the latter requires r191076 (r191230 for 7-STABLE). I didn't
bother to try with hal enabled though as it still seems to
be quite problematic even on amd64 and i386 according to
the other lists.
I've also once again fixed firefox and firefox3 and probably
some other gecko-based ports like seamonkey and thunderbird
to work on sparc64.