Netra T1-200 debugging

Miles Nordin carton at Ivy.NET
Wed Nov 5 10:54:56 PST 2008

>>>>> "ms" == Marius Strobl <marius at alchemy.franken.de> writes:

    ms> Well, there in fact is an ATA controller in T1 200...

yes definitely has ATA CD-ROM.

atapci0: <AcerLabs M5229 UDMA66 controller> port 0x400-0x407,0x418-0x41b,0x410-0x417,0x408-0x40b,0x420-0x42f at device 13.0 on pci1
atapci0: using PIO transfers above 137GB as workaround for 48bit DMA access bug, expect reduced performance
ata2: <ATA channel 0> on atapci0
ata3: <ATA channel 1> on atapci0
acd0: CDRW <CD-224E/1.7A> at ata2-master UDMA33

    >> Marius, I'm curious - the T1-200 has dual-eri interfaces

yeah it has 100Mbit/s interfaces that attach as gem under FreeBSD.

gem0: <Sun ERI 10/100 Ethernet Adaptor> mem 0xe0400000-0xe041ffff at device 12.1 on pci1
miibus0: <MII bus> on gem0
ukphy0: <Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface> on miibus0
ukphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
gem0: 2kB RX FIFO, 2kB TX FIFO
gem0: Ethernet address: 00:03:ba:0f:aa:45
gem1: <Sun ERI 10/100 Ethernet Adaptor> mem 0xe0440000-0xe045ffff at device 5.1 on pci1
miibus1: <MII bus> on gem1
ukphy1: <Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface> on miibus1
ukphy1:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
gem1: 2kB RX FIFO, 2kB TX FIFO
gem1: Ethernet address: 00:03:ba:0f:aa:45

IIRC they don't work well or I wanted device polling on 6.0 or
something i forget, so I'm using mine with a bge card, but good luck
getting the same working stepping of 57xx chip that I've got.

bge0: <Altima AC9100 Gigabit Ethernet, ASIC rev. 0x105> mem 0x10000-0x1ffff at device 5.0 on pci2
miibus2: <MII bus> on bge0
brgphy0: <BCM5701 10/100/1000baseTX PHY> on miibus2
brgphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseTX, 1000baseTX-FDX, auto
bge0: Ethernet address: 00:09:5b:60:3a:75

The T1 105 has hme interfaces but I didn't load a driver for them.

atapci0: <CMD 646 WDMA2 controller> port 0x1000-0x1007,0x1008-0x100b,0x1010-0x1017,0x1018-0x101b,0x1020-0x102f at device 14.0 on pci3
ata2: <ATA channel 0> on atapci0
ata3: <ATA channel 1> on atapci0
pci3: <network, ethernet> at device 15.0 (no driver attached)
pci3: <network, ethernet> at device 15.1 (no driver attached)

X1 has two digital tulips, tlp or dc

    ms> AFAICT the T1 200 and V120 share the exact same mainboard,

I was about to say, ``no,'' but I think you're right:

 http://web.ivy.net/~carton/sun-feh-2_1/Systems/Netra_T1_AC200/Netra_T1_AC200_top_zoom.html
 http://web.ivy.net/~carton/sun-feh-2_1/Systems/SunFireV120/SunFireV120_top_zoom.html

I've both, and think the V120 makes a lot more fan noise.

The X1 is awesome but for three show-stopping problems:

 * most NIC drivers do not work well in BSD.  They perform badly, or
   lock up once a day, or panic your machine when they receive a jumbo
   frame (my current problem with em(4)), or are dishonest about the
   duplex setting, or some such bullshit.  so to get a working system
   you must swap cards until you find some happy card that works.  The
   X1 has no PCI slot, so if the dc driver doesn't work in whatever
   version of BSD you're using for whatever network stack features you
   need, you're SOL.

 * has IDE only, no SCSI.  IDE never performed well, or even stably,
   on any Sun platform I know of under any OS, especially Solaris but
   also others.  better than digital alpha IDE, but nothing like IDE
   on a peecee.

   Even their current machines can't seem to deliver a SATA driver
   that's fully-working including NCQ, hotplug, not randomly locking
   up, not missing interrupts and slowing down.  Even in their own
   hardware they can't do this.  The chip in the X4500 is years old
   and is still causing people huge headaches, problems like ``ports 6
   and 7 hotplug but all other ports don't work right''.  The only
   card working well now is a SAS card that I expect has really
   heavyweight firmware and a lot of protocol translation so it's like
   using your disks through a firewire case where things like smartctl
   and cdrecord can't be expected to work.

   that was massively OT, but seriously this company's had decades to
   get their shit together and still cannot cooperate with the ATA
   world.

 * has those stupid hard drive ``sleds''.  If you get a machine with
   one disk it comes with a ``blank sled'' which won't take a drive
   and really has no reason at all to exist except to make fun of you.
   I ended up buying two X1's and throwing one out because it was the
   cheapest way to get two sleds.  If you want to drill holes in the
   case and mount the drive from the bottom it'll work fine, but if
   you wanted to do such goofy things I think you'd buy an Intel Atom
   330 board which is faster and still 64-bit.

   The SCSI variants (T1 105, T1 200, V120) are hot-swap so you can
   use Sun SCA drive sleds which are available almost for free with
   drives already in them.  There are different kinds of SCA hotswap
   drive sled not the same for all three, and sometimes the sled will
   fit in, but won't snap locked.  I minded this less than drilling
   holes, unless you're mounting it in a rack in an ambulance or a
   news van or something weird like that.  but maybe some won't fit at
   all.

The T1 105 takes weird expensive memory.