Free Ultra2 in Silicon Valley, USA

Steve Rikli sr at genyosha.net
Sat Nov 1 15:49:22 PDT 2008

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 09:59:00PM +0000, Craig Butler wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 08:18 -0500, Mark Linimon wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 06:02:28AM -0700, mdh wrote:
> > > A dual CPU Ultra2 is going to be a lot more powerful than an Ultra5.
> >
> > Hmm, ok, didn't know that.  If no-one else claims it first, perhaps
> > I can claim it for the build cluster and pull one of the Ultra 5s.
> > I intend to be out in .ca.us for meetBSD.
> >
> > > E4500's can be relatively beefy.
> >
> > We could have gotten our hands on some more of them in .ca.us but the
> > problem is who wants to pay for the power :-(  Really, their time has
> > come and gone.
>
> Guys,
>
> I be prepared to pay for delivery to the UK (as long as its reasonable)
> and can put it in me rack next to the other build servers if you like.
>
> How heavy is an ultra 2 ?

I shipped one similar to this recently via UPS -- the box weighs a
little over 41 lbs. and measures 23x23x10".  Because it only travelled
within California, USA it was about $20 to ship.

We looked into shipping one overseas but it was too costly -- the US
Postal Service wouldn't take it (too large) and UPS et al would have
charged well over $100.

If you'd like to try arranging something else feel free to contact me
off-list -- I'm happy to give this gear to FreeBSD if we can find a
way.

Cheers,
sr.