status of freebsd on ultrasparc?

Royce Williams royce at alaska.net
Tue Jun 17 00:15:40 UTC 2008

Mark Linimon wrote, on 6/16/2008 11:16 AM:
> On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 05:25:05PM -0800, Royce Williams wrote:
>> - Volunteer list: Start a list of volunteers (and their associated
>> hardware).  The wiki might be a good place for this, except it makes
>> it harder for non-committer testers to self-organize.
>
> I've now created
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/sparc64/Volunteers for this.  I am
> willing to add information for those who do not have write permissions
> on the wiki.

Excellent -- thanks, Mark!  Count me in.  I have none the commit bits,
so if you could do the honors ...

I personally have a U30.  Work has a number of retired E250s, E450s,
and an E3500.  The work machines can be rigged up for remote console
and power with some coordination.  I am interested in helping in
whatever way that I can.  I am specifically interested in
freebsd-update support for sparc64.

I also have some sparc64 resources collected here:

http://www.alaska.net/~royce/freebsd/sparc64/

... including a dmesg repository:

http://www.alaska.net/~royce/freebsd/sparc64/dmesgs/

which currently has 148 dmesgs.  All: please consider contributing
your dmesg, especially for 7 or 8. (Let me know how you want to be
credited for the dmesg, and whether or not including your email
address in the comment is OK).

> Also, http://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/sparc64 is now a general page
> to help get things organized.  More ideas welcome.

Mark, you may also want to note somewhere that Hiroki Sato sent me the
following information on what he needs to get his E4500s back online,
(which would be a huge bang for the buck, IIRC):

> Anyway, suppose I could identify the failed ones, I would need the
> replacement.  CPU board, modules, and memories are most
> questionable, so they would likely be needed.  Currently all of the
> boxes use 400MHz w/ 8MB module (PN:X2580A).  Also, PCI I/O board
> (PN:X2632A) would help since we have very few options for Sbus SCSI
> HBA.

I also wrote Hiroki to ask if monetary donations could be earmarked
for this purpose.  Not sure of the status of that.

Royce

--
Royce D. Williams                                   - http://royce.ws/
    He who begins many things finishes but few.  - Italian proverb