ZFS on 7.0-RC1 SPARC64

Anders Gulden Olstad andersgo at alge.anart.no
Tue Feb 12 14:28:47 PST 2008

Marius Strobl wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 08:38:16AM +0100, Eirik verby wrote:

>> After csup'ing to 7-RC1-something, and brute-force-compiling ZFS, we
>> used the external A1000 SCSI disk "shelf" with 12x18gb drives to
>> create a zpool and a bunch of ZFS filesystems. Since then, we've
>> integrated ZFS quotas and limits with the jails (growing in
>> numbers..), without incident so far.
>>
>> We've added another A1000 disk shelf that we'll probably set up as a
>> mirror of the current one, again using the z* tools.

There are some problems with the other A1000 cabinet, which totally
freezes the poor Ultra2, when running a mirrored diskpool. Not even
signs of life on the serial console, so I think this is hardware
related. I'll keep that cabinet out of the testbed until I've
investigated the hardware further.

But on the other A1000 cabinet ZFS is running very happily.

> Could you please give a zfs.ko built with the patch at:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~marius/zfs_atomic_sparc64.diff
> a try? In theory it should improve performance by not letting
> the OpenSolaris compat code work around the lack of some atomic
> operations.

Sure. I can try to benchmark it quickly with iostat.

>> Oh and Landon Fuller has been kind enough to spend a few days
>> compiling Java 1.6 for FreeBSD on the machine, so I believe (his
>> words) we are now running the worlds first Java-enabled FreeBSD/Sparc64.
>>

> Could you please work with glewis@ to integrate the required
> changes into the port?

Send me an email if someone need access to the java building jail.

Anders