ZFS on 7.0-RC1 SPARC64

Eirik Øverby ltning at anduin.net
Thu Feb 7 23:38:20 PST 2008

On Feb 7, 2008, at 9:39 PM, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Mark Linimon wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 11:37:03PM +0100, Anders Olstad wrote:
>>> Oh.... The thought that zfs is not for the SPARC64 platform,
>>> hasn't  struck me yet. But there's no Java support for it
>>> either.... I  should've guessed it.
>> There's no intentional slight of sparc64 here; I just don't think
>> that
>> anyone has tested it yet.  I don't believe that the committer who did
>> the work has access to a sparc64 machine.
>> mcl
>> "
>
> I tested it briefly but not much beyond verifying that it doesn't
> insta-panic :)

Our Ultra2 machine is behaving very well now, using both ZFS and Java
(!!) on FreeBSD.

We have two internal drives, mirrored using geom_mirror. This has
worked well all the time.

After csup'ing to 7-RC1-something, and brute-force-compiling ZFS, we
used the external A1000 SCSI disk "shelf" with 12x18gb drives to
create a zpool and a bunch of ZFS filesystems. Since then, we've
integrated ZFS quotas and limits with the jails (growing in
numbers..), without incident so far.

We've added another A1000 disk shelf that we'll probably set up as a
mirror of the current one, again using the z* tools.

Oh and Landon Fuller has been kind enough to spend a few days
compiling Java 1.6 for FreeBSD on the machine, so I believe (his
words) we are now running the worlds first Java-enabled FreeBSD/Sparc64.

Now if someone could add support for UltraSparc III and beyond (which
is "almost there" if I understand things correctly), I think it might
just be time to rekindle FreeBSD/SUN4U ... It is proving very, very
useful indeed.

Oh and if anyone needs access to this machine, or other Sun UltraSparc
hardware, let me know. I just might be able to help.

/Eirik