Java on FBSD-sparc64?

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Mon May 7 18:52:41 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 08:40:31PM -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 02:23:33AM +0200, Didrik Madheden wrote:
> > I'm looking for a virtual machine with decent performance. (And
> > preferably a JDK, commandline preferred) I've tried a few things in
> > ports, but unfortunately, mos of it was i386/amd64 only.
> > Is it possible, or do I have to switch to some flavour of Solaris?
>
> It is not possible at this time.  Probably there has not been enough
> interest for someone to port it.

Last I checked, the only threading library that worked on sparc64 was
libc_r, and that is going away at the end of 6.x.  So that also puts a
dampener on things unless its changed.

FWIW, JDK 1.3 was partially ported to sparc64, but not all the 64 bit
uncleanliness was worked out.  JDK 1.5 and up should be 64 bit clean,
but there hasn't been much interest in a sparc64 port.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com