Buildworld failure in libmagic on old system

Gavin Atkinson gavin.atkinson at ury.york.ac.uk
Sat Mar 10 23:02:07 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I've been seeing a build failure on sparc64 for a while on one of my
machines, last built Thu Dec  8 13:52:22 GMT 2005 (yes, I know it's
old!), where it looks like there's some issue with which version of libc
gets used.  I've been trying to upgrade this every two months or so
since then, without success, so it's time to report it!

Full compile log at http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~ga9/build-20070309.txt

I suspect a libc issue because of the following:

leeloo# pwd
/usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libmagic
leeloo# ./mkmagic magic
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
leeloo# echo $LD_PRELOAD
LD_PRELOAD: Undefined variable.
leeloo# setenv LD_PRELOAD /usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libc/libc.so.7
leeloo# echo $LD_PRELOAD
/usr/obj/usr/src/lib/libc/libc.so.7
leeloo# ./mkmagic magic
leeloo#

Is this something which should be fixed in the source?  I'm sure setting
the OSRELDATE=0 hack to tell it the world that is installed is "really
old" may well fix it, and I'm happy to do that, I'm just wondering if
something is not being rebuilt somewhere where it should be?

There is one Google hit with a similar problem -
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-sparc64/2006-June/004159.html
- which is a tinderbox failure in June 2006.  I'm pretty sure I first
saw the problem before that (although I could be wrong).  I also can't
seem to see any commit that would have got the tinderbox working.

Thanks,

Gavin