good (working) CFLAGS for SPARC64 (Christian Baer)

Steven Hillis evultrole at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 20:36:58 UTC 2007

Chris,

I've personally had some success with the following:
-O2 -mcpu=ultrasparc -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math
-finline-functions -fweb -frename-registers -mapp-regs

Now, I'm pretty sure there are people who would scold me about a few of
those uses, mapp-regs and fast-math specifically, but I don't have any
troubles as a result of them in what I do... I don't know the default
setting of mapp-regs, it varies from system to system (on in Linux, off in
Solaris, dunno in any BSD), this may be an unneeded flag. Likewise,
fomit-frame-pointer may be enabled by default or it may not, depends on how
gcc may decide if "doing so does not interfere with debugging"... I
personally don't care half a crap about debugging, so I stick it in just to
be sure. Most of the extra flags in there mess up debugging, so toss them
out if you care about that.

Really I guess most of that is either just being sure something is enabled
or going a little past -O3 without the funswitch-loops bit (I don't like
that option so I don't use it, don't ask me why, it's completely irrational,
I don't even know what it does. It broke a program one time during compile
and I've never used it since.)

Also, the fact that I get it to compile and run everything with those flags
may be a complete fluke, I've had problems with -O3 in the past (when -O was
the most recommended on the kernel) and I don't know what has changed since,
but what I have enabled now seems to be ok for me.

Also, I don't use -m64 as there is no 32-bit environment support in
FreeBSD-Sparc64 anyway, so it seems that adding it would be... redundant? if
this is not the case someone please chime in. I don't claim to know how
longs and pointers are set in binaries by default, it just seems it would be
the case.

Message: 1