Netbooting Sparc64

Didrik Madheden didrik at kth.se
Tue Apr 24 23:22:22 UTC 2007

A little status report. rarp and tftp is now working correctly, and so
it did more or less from the start. What I did wrong was that I
created a directory called C0A80145 rather than a file, and put loader
in it. It was when I browsed a man pag, saw something about
/var/log/xferlog and checked that file that I realized my mistake.
So now I've succeeded in getting the bootstrap to load on the Sparc.
Here's my output.
===
36e00 Consoles: Open Firmware console

FreeBSD/sparc64 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.0
(root at s-dallas.cse.buffalo.edu, Fri Jan 12 08:25:13 UTC 2007)
bootpath="/pci at 1f,0/network at c,1"
boot: ethernet address: 00:03:ba:08:1c:11
net_open: server addr: 0.0.0.0
net_open: server path: /
\
===
Perhaps it's worth mentioning that I'm connecting over a serial link
rather than using a keyboard and a screen, which means that I maybe
miss some information. Generally, is it possible to do administer an
installation over a serial link, until I can get an sshd up?

So it seems I need to somehow tell the bootstrap where to connect. The
problem is how...

On 4/22/07, Miles Nordin <carton at ivy.net> wrote:
>     dm> Also, another problem is that I'm using my router for DHCP,
>
> ok?  problem?
I suspect the way to tell the bootstrap where to look is through these
lines, right?
> host amber {
>   fixed-address amber;
>   hardware ethernet 08:00:20:01:02:03;
>   option root-path "69.31.131.61:/export/nboot/amber";
> }
The problem is I don't have a clue where to put these lines. If they
should given to the DHCP server, then I have a problem, since my
router is pretty much a cheapo thing without advanced options. That's
the (possible) problem I was referring to. (There seems to be a better
interface than the web interface when telnetting to it, but I don't
know how to use that interface properly.)

I can also mention what I've done on the NFS side on the boot server.
I've created /usr/sunboot, put all the files from the ISO image's
/boot/ in that dir. I added this line to /etc/exports:
/usr/sunboot         -ro -maproot=root -network 192.168.1.69 -mask 255.255.255.0
which I then confirmed with showmount -e.
So, what now?

/Didrik Madheden

-----BEGIN 2ROT13 MESSAGE-----
Low Bitrate Netlabel: <http://f-label.tojt.net/>
Electronic music forum:
<http://oxo-unlimited.com/forums>
Sätt på ett par flipflops, vippa på rumpan
och gör det här till en minnesvärd sommar!
-----END 2ROT13 MESSAGE-----