SunFire V210/V240 (UltraSparc IIIi) and FreeBSD

Gavin Atkinson gavin.atkinson at ury.york.ac.uk
Mon Oct 23 08:44:17 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 15:45 +0100, Alexandre Vieira wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> Reading trough 6.1 hardware notes for the sparc64 port I can see that any
> Ultrasparc III system is not supported. I have a bunch of these laying
> around and would like to know if there is any usability in these systems
> with freebsd. I've seen some reports of people bashing these V210/V240 and
> would like to know if anyone tried to do anything with this.

There's an effort to get a Host-PCI bridge (Schizo/Tomatillo) driver
working, but it's in very early days and may not ever fully materialise
as there exists no documentation on the chipset so all that is available
are Linux and OpenBSD driver source code, neither of which is
particularly well documented or easy to follow.

I currently have no spare test hardware, but hope to start hacking away
again at some point in the future.

But, as I say, don't get your hopes up.

Gavin