Netra T1 105 (sparc64) optimization

Miles Nordin carton at Ivy.NET
Wed Nov 29 21:23:52 PST 2006

>>>>> "av" == Alexandre Vieira <nullpt at gmail.com> writes:

    av> kernel/tunables recommendations,

I suggest device polling.  This will increase the pps you can forward,
and optimistically cause the machine to drop packets rather than go
into livelock if the pps exceeds its ability.  IMHO it should be used
on any router.  and IIRC it does work with the hme driver.

add to your kernel config and rebuild the kernel:

options         DEVICE_POLLING
options         HZ=1000

then add to /etc/sysctl.conf:

kern.polling.enable=1

I think there is some ``deprecated'' message saying you are now
supposed to enable device polling through ifconfig, which I never
fully understood because I thought the device polling framework was
originally meant to someday include more devices than just network
cards.  Anyway, the above is what I do and works for me on 6.0.