sparc64/105607: ipfw on sparc64 doesn't work at all (causes panic)

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu Nov 16 16:20:42 UTC 2006

The following reply was made to PR sparc64/105607; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org>
To: Aled Morris <aledm at qix.co.uk>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: sparc64/105607: ipfw on sparc64 doesn't work at all (causes panic)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 11:12:12 -0500

 --+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI

 On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 04:05:05PM +0000, Aled Morris wrote:

 > Tried loading the IPFW module and it causes an immediate panic:
 >=20
 > (on serial console)
 > # kldload ipfw
 > panic: trap: fast data access mmu miss
 > cpuid =3D 0
 > Uptime: 9m7s
 > Cannot dump. No dump device defined.
 > Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
 >=20
 >=20
 > system is 420R with 2x450MHz UltraSPARC-II processors, 4GB RAM

 Do you have 4GB or >4GB?  Modules do not work on sparc systems with
 more than 4GB, but I thought 4 was OK.  You can confirm by

 a) making sure your modules are in sync with your kernel (i.e. not
 compiled from different sources)

 b) Trying some other modules to see if they work too.

 Kris

 --+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI

 --+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI--