Software raid on Sparc64

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Fri Mar 3 03:21:02 PST 2006

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 09:06:34AM +0100, Joacim Melin wrote:
> I created the raid, did a dump from my current root (/dev/ad0) to the
> second drive /dev/ad1). I then take it that the box would start from /
> dev/ad1 so I could put /dev/ad0 into the raid with gmirror but it
> just rebooted to /dev/ad0 and the raid, /dev/mirror/gm0, was gone.

You have to put the following into /boot/loader.conf:
geom_mirror_load="YES"
If you don't then GEOM won't check for gmirror labels.

And of course put the name of the mirrored partition into fstab.
If you still have ad0 in the fstab on your boot drive, why should
the system mount anything else?

> I have a system installed on /dev/ad0 already. I found one howto
> where you could break out of the install phase and do the gmirror
> thing but since this box (Netra X1) is headless and only operated via
> a serial connection I haven't found out how to make that happen.

It is much easier to do a normal installation leaving a few sectors
unpartitioned space at the end of the drive for the later label and
then migrate.

> >gmirror should just work, BTW.

At least it does here.

--