Ultra 80 Installation problems

John Barnes johnbarnes16 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 29 14:31:18 UTC 2006

Dear List,

I have a Sun Ultra 80 with 2 CPUs.  I burned the ISO disks for 6.1-RELEASE
and tried to boot.  The kernel image loaded ok and I got appropriate
information on the console.  But when it tried to boot the kernel I got.

Nothing to autoload
Jumping to kernel 0xc0000006

Not perfect on the address, but that is close.

I was reading in the archives of someone with a similar problem.  He was
using and UltraSparc III cpu and that is unsupported.  But the first
suggestion was that he install from the console port because there may not
be support for the Framebuffer.

So, I'm planning to try that.  But, I'm wondering if I will be able to boot
to video and keyboard once I install, or if I will always need to use the
console port on this machine.  A follow on question is, can I buy another
graphics card that would work for this system on FreeBSD?

Thanks for any help in this matter.

John Barnes