E4500 with 24GB RAM

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Sun May 29 10:53:50 PDT 2005

Hi,

 I tried RELENG_5 on 10-way E4500 with 24GB RAM but the following
 panic occurred just after loading the kernel:

 |FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE #0: Thu May 26 15:53:20 JST 2005
 |   hrs at e4500-2.allbsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/E4500_2
 |real memory  = 25769803776 (24576 MB)
 |kmem_suballoc: bad status return of 3.
 |panic: kmem_suballoc
 |cpuid = 0

 The box worked fine after disabling some of the memory modules
 by OpenBoot.  4GB RAM worked, but more than that didn't.

 Is it currently difficult to handle memory more than 4GB
 on FreeBSD/sparc64?  If there is some workaround or
 something I can help, please let me know.  Thanks.