Problems with X..

Matthias Muthmann mmuthmann at gmx.net
Tue Mar 1 07:16:43 GMT 2005

On Mo, 2005-02-28 at 18:48 +0100, Dejan Lesjak wrote:
> > have time I will try out any other patches for the keyboard driver.
>
> Gah, I was afraid of that. This was so far copy-pasted from old keyboard
> driver. Well at least some keys work...:)
> Could you get X server up and then run xev(1) from console and see if the keys
> that are not working produce any events. The ones we're looking for are
> KeyPress and KeyRelease and from those, keycode and keysym are interesting.
> Unfortunately syscons doesn't work on my Ultra5 so I can't check myself. If
> keycodes do come we'll have to make them translate to proper keysyms. If
> there are no events sent at all, you could also try this without any patches
> and see if those break getting keycodes (in which case I've botched
> copy-paste in the first place)...
>

> Dejan

Well, I just played a little bit on my keyboard and all ef the key
(except the "cut"-key) produce events. An example: Pressing "h" and then
"n" gives:

KeyPress event, serial 20, synthetic YES, window 0xe00001,
    root 0x34, subw 0x40005f, time 497408, (7,4), root:(739,37),
    state 0x0, keycode 89 (keysym 0x68, h), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 1 bytes: (68) "h"

KeyPress event, serial 20, synthetic YES, window 0xe00001,
    root 0x34, subw 0x40005f, time 497691, (7,4), root:(739,37),
    state 0x0, keycode 199 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes:

Some things I noticed: On the num-pad only the "+-*/" work, return
doesn't (work state 0x0, keycode 156 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol) ) and shift
doesn't (work state 0x0, keycode 205 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol) ).

--
Matthias Muthmann <mmuthmann at gmx.net>