Where are the Sparc64 Installation Boot Floppies? (was - Re: Installation on SUN U10 Continued)

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Thu Jun 23 21:27:11 GMT 2005

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 01:36:03PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> Brett D. Estrade wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:37:50 -0400, "John Baldwin" <jhb at FreeBSD.org>
> > said:

> >>You can bug bmah@ about making the references to floppies only show up in
> >>the
> >>i386 and alpha release notes.
> >>

> > Would he also be able to note that you need to install through a serial
> > console?  That and the floppies thing were the only 2 "gotchas" that
> > plagued me after I thought I had gone through the effort of informing
> > myself about FreeBSD on Sparc64....of course this still leaves Robert in
> > a lurch with his U10 dilemma :\
> >
> > Brett
>
> Installing from a normal video console should work a lot better with
> 6.0.  I think that the June snapshot has enough pieces to demonstrate
> this, if you're willing to check it out.

6.0-CURRENT-SNAP004 is from before syscons(4) etc. was enabled in the
sparc64 GENERIC so can't be used to do an install via a graphics
console. There's however still my custom release for testing on the
Blade 100 laying around which has it enabled (but doesn't have support
for PS/2 hardware, yet):
http://people.freebsd.org/~marius/6.0-20050515-SNAP-sparc64-disc1.iso.bz2
When installing it I'd suggest to update to the latest 6.0-CURRENT
afterwards.