E4500 with 24GB RAM

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sat Jun 11 07:57:28 GMT 2005

On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 04:54:51PM +0900, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:

> Do you use NFS orver UDP? NFS over TCP has much better change of
> getting panic.

Yes, UDP.

> If you copy a large file(> 100MB) from a NFS exported directory to
> its sub-directory you probably hit a panic. If my memory serve right
> there had been several NFS panic reports in current/sparc64 ML.
> And I don't think it was fixed since the root cause of panic is in
> nfsm_disct() and nfs_realign()(it was not touched for a long time.)

I should have mentioned that in all cases I use read-only NFS.  You
should talk to mohans at yahoo-inc.com who has been doing a lot of work
on NFS, although he's probably only interested in i386 and amd64.

>  > >  >  I tried to comment out the HME_WHINE line of hme_read() in if_hme.c,
>  > >  >  and it seems to make the box work fine so far.
>  > >
>  > > HME_WHINE() just prints a message. I can't think removing the function
>  > > can cure your problem.
>  >
>  > It does seem to have helped though..before it would reliably lock up
>  > in seconds, and DDB break was non-responsive.
>  >

> Hmm... Then it would be great to get a voluntary core dump when hme(4)
> hits the condition(e.g. before processing HME_WHINE, invoke panic(9)).

We can try that..I'd like to leave the box running buildworld loops
overnight to make sure it doesn't have further problems that might
suggest bad hardware.

Kris