E4500 with 24GB RAM

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jun 11 06:44:25 GMT 2005

Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote
  in <20050610211239.GA59402 at xor.obsecurity.org>:

kr> I wonder if it's disk related.  I tried to check out a ports tree on
kr> this machine and it hung in a few seconds (although this was also
kr> checking out using the network via nfs).

 I do not know why but the freeze occurs only when displaying "invalid
 packet size xxx; dropping".  When I tried "vmstat 1" on the serial
 console and fetching a large file via ftp at the same time
 with 12GB RAM configuration, the freeze did not occur.
 Once "hme0: too may errors; not reporting any more" is displayed,
 the box seems to work fine and I can check out the ports tree via NFS
 without problems.

 I tried to comment out the HME_WHINE line of hme_read() in if_hme.c,
 and it seems to make the box work fine so far.
 Kris, could you try again?  I think this is not a disk problem.